Saturday, June 27, 2009

Quebec City - Murals

MURAL 1

The Mural of Quebecers is in the lower town on Notre-Dame Street. It was painted on a five story building in 1999... with 600 litres of paint! I'm not sure how I feel about murals but have to appreciate the skill and effort that goes into a work like this.

Above: a musician sets up. The mural attracts a lot of attention and is a good gathering spot for people.

Funnily enough, when I first saw pictures of this mural, I thought the bridge was real.

You might think the 'glass' windows were real.

A diagram shows the location of the famous people depicted in the mural.

And a photo shows the building as it looked before it was painted.

A seating area in front of the mural.

MURAL 2

The Petit-Champlain Mural is at the end of a row of shops, also in the lower town.

Some information from the internet: ...it illustrates the origins of the Cap-Blanc neighbourhood, the bombardments in 1759, fires, landslides and other disasters to have befallen Quartier Petit Champlain over the years, as well as the strength and courage of those who built, lived, developed and breathed new life into this part of Quebec City.

Close-up above: There is a raccoon inside. And a cannonball in the wall.

It looks like the lady is about to use her rolling pin.

The little boy in the rafters has a slingshot.

No comments:

Post a Comment