Also from Mt. Soledad we spotted this church. Little did we know that when we went to the vitamin shop we'd be right down by it. At ground level it was the strangest sight. I had to shake my head to make sure my eyes were seeing right because the building appeared to be in a white haze. There was no haze around anything else. It was just the effect of an all-white, glowing building. We've never seen anything like it.
There was a freeway in front of it... although I'm not sure which side is the front, so we drove around the back. It really was the most extraordinary sight, the way the light hit the different planes. There was something eerie about it, while at the same time it reminded me of the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. Since author L. Frank Baum spent time in San Diego I wondered if he had something to do with it, but probably not.
I thought it was incredibly interesting to use virtually no variation of colour. The photos can't capture the fascinating 'glowiness' of this structure, which was created by using marble chips in stucco. The pale windows look like gemstones to me.
What I thought was a church is actually a Mormon temple, the San Diego Mormon Temple to be exact. It must be quite a sight lit up at night too.
No comments:
Post a Comment