Friday, January 6, 2012

An air of romance

I'll always remember this as the romantic summer. It was Glenn's and my last summer together.

We would often sit inside the white structure 

Our view of the Italian Garden

At Butchart Gardens we would walk the short distance to the Italian Garden and sit and people watch. As the summer progressed, Glenn would read to me more and more, there and at other places. He was a voracious reader and I'm not. He would often relate interesting snippets from books he was reading at home but now he read whole chapters aloud. Why didn't we do this sooner? I suppose we didn't sit still long enough but now we were forced to slow down. Those moments of soaking up the sunshine while listening to Glenn's wonderful voice - I always loved his voice - will be among my dearest memories.

That he was able to read aloud for long periods with his weakened voice and make for such a delightful summer despite a terminal illness says much about this remarkable man. I told him that he was the only person I know who could make a war story sound romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment