Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Quebec - A copper shop & bread ovens

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tour - part 2

We've left the island now and are back on the mainland.

I like metal so much I sometimes think I should have got a job working with it. But there is one metal that does nothing for me and that's copper. So when the next stop on the tour was to the Albert Gilles Copper Art museum and store... well I could have done with a much shorter visit.

The founder passed away but his family keeps the business going. I believe it was his wife who gave us a short tour and a talk about working with copper. Tables are set out where visitors can try their hand at embossing.

Let's move on to the bread ovens at Chez Marie. I want to call it the sugar shack because they sell maple sugar products. For a buck or so you can get a slice of home-made bread with maple butter spread on top.

I read that they can seat 200 people in here! It must be in sardine fashion.

A bird house.

Most interesting to me were the little structures beside the roads. It looks like the one above, built into the hillside, is a vegetable cellar.

And here is another oven. Imagine these covered in snow.

Tin siding is a common sight in this area.

Off we go towards the church now, snapping a few pictures out the bus window. Above, is Auberge Baker.

"Ancestral ground of Jean Gagnon... 1640" reads the plaque beside the door.

It would be helpful if I could remember anything the driver told us about the Norman architecture and the history of the area because it was all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment