Friday, May 15, 2009
We wound up down by the water farther away from our hotel than we expected, trudging along with seemingly miles to go... although we weren't exactly sure where we were. As we passed by a row of businesses, a fellow appeared from a doorway as if by magic and asked if we'd like a ride on a Pedicab. What timing. It felt good to sail along with no effort, the speed making a nice cooling breeze. It turned out it was this driver's pedicab company. "Have you been to the public market yet?" he asked, pointing to the building on the water side of the road. No, we hadn't. Next thing we knew, he was whisking us over there and showing us a cheese counter and his favourite cheese, which I'd never heard of. The market had the usual assortment of goods - produce, bread, potting plants.
I must have been tired because I wasn't taking many photos. If we had been staying longer in Quebec City, it probably would have been worth walking down to this market and picking up some bread and cheese.
Back at the hotel Glenn and I went back to our room and rested on the sunny patio for a while.
Refreshed, we wandered over to the post office around the corner. (There is also a pharmacy nearby.) The woman behind the counter was quite funny. Before long she hauled out all her "Newfie" tools, which she said was okay for her to joke about since she was originally from there. I had noticed that she spoke English without a French accent. She mentioned that our hotel must have very comfortable pillows because they mail out a lot of them.
Back we went to poke around the wonderful Place Royale / Quartier Petit-Champlain area.
Ah, there's a sign for ice-cream cones, so Glenn got one.
I like the photo above. For one thing, looking at it will always make me think of warmth. It might have been from this doorway that I took the last shot.
A couple of wall plaques and a red door.
Behind a wall and gate was a place for homeless cannons.
I wouldn't have noticed the dove sitting quietly if Glenn hadn't pointed it out.
Next time you splatter your clothes with paint, just go with it and make a fashion statement.





No comments:
Post a Comment